Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I've been having a hard time coming up with new meals to try lately, so I've been asking around for kid friendly ideas since I have such picky eaters.  My sister suggested I try Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I usually just buy the frozen, prepackaged ones and throw them in the oven but I decided to give the recipe a try tonight.  I'm so glad I did because they were amazing!  And the kids approved also!

So here's the recipe...

Ingredients

  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 6 slices Swiss cheese
  • 6 slices ham
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
  2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
  3. Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm. 
Its so easy and gives you just enough time to whip a side dish together while it is cooking. I served it with cooked carrots tonight just because it was easy but on a another night, I would make a pasta or fruit salad to go with it.  
 I had planned on taking a picture once it came out of the oven but my hungry hubby had already dug in so it was not picture friendly.  He laughed at me when I explained the reason I wanted to take a picture was for my blog.  So after offering to put it back so I could take a picture (to which I politely refused), he decided to be Mr. Chef and create a aesthetically pleasing dish for me to share on my blog...
 
  Oh how I love that man!  The things he does to make me laugh :)
 And to share my latest obsession...Instagram!  Just when I thought I might have to get an I phone, they released the app for the Android.  I'm loving playing around with the different filters.

I'm sure there will be plenty more to share in the future.  
 
Daddy showing the kids a caterpillar
Right now, we are just enjoying the sunshine because this makes us happy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy looks great, thanks so much for sharing! I love the pics they look so old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete