Sunday, February 12, 2012

DIY Jewelry Holder

I've been meaning to buy a jewelry holder for quite some time now but I didn't know what type I wanted.  But after getting my ring from Bryan yesterday, I was thinking more about it today.  Since I didn't really feel like doing much today, I decided to tackle a jewelry holder from stuff I had laying around the house. 

These are the items I used to make the jewelry holder:

  • An old frame with glass removed
  •  Paint
  •  Ribbon- 1 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch
  • Hot Glue
  • Bow Wire
  • Alligator Clips
  • Hot Glue Gun
I didn't want anything too spectacular just something  that I could use to hand my necklaces and rings that are lying around.  I'm not an big earring person so there was no need to hand any earrings.  But the tricky part was trying to figure out how I could hang my rings up too. All of the jewelry holders that I looked up did not give the option of hanging rings but rather, they had little boxes or it was more of a shadow box type of holder. I just wanted to use the frame that I had laying around.
  1. I painted the front of the cardboard backing which comes with the frame.  I let this dry for about an hour. 
  2.  I hot glued the 1 1/2 inch ribbon how I wanted it to the cardboard backing (the ribbon is covering the little metal holes where the hangers are attached on the back.)
  3. I hot glued the Bow Wire to the back of the frame. On the top wire I added a Damask Button which gives the wire a better hold when all of the necklaces get hung on it so the wire doesn't sag. 
  4. I used 5/8 inch ribbon to line the alligator clips.
  5. I clipped the lined alligator clips to the bow wire attached to the lower part of the frame. ( I had planned to hot glue the alligator clips right to the cardboard backing but the glue wouldn't stick for some reason so I made do with adding the wire and clipping them to it.)

And TA DA... I have a jewelry holder for my bedroom.  And it was cheap and easy.  Its not perfect and I noticed some things that I would have done differently but I'm happy with it and it serves the purpose I wanted.


I just clip the rings right on the alligator clips!


Have fun if you decide to make one for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment