Saturday, February 18, 2012

Decisions

Disclaimer: Please know that this post does include some personal information about myself and maybe a little TMI for some.  This is my personal experience and I only share so other women may make an informed choice.

That being said, I had my yearly gynecology exam on Thursday. We went through the standard questions including concerns about my current birth control method, which happens to be Mirena IUD. In the past year that I have had this birth control, I have debated if I really liked it or not.  My main reason for making this decision last year was because every form of birth control that I have tried in the past have given me horrible headaches and my doctor informed me that this type of birth control does not contain the estrogen that causes these headaches.  So after weighing the pros and the cons, I decided that the pros outweighed the cons. 

That was until I went to my appointment on Thursday and the doctor could not find it (for lack of going into further detail.) This made me very nervous because one of the cons of getting this method was that there is the risk of the IUD getting displaced in the uterus and perforating other female parts.  I have had extreme cramping sporadically since I have had the IUD and also I have sporadic bleeding, which after discussion with the doctor is not particularly normal.

So after finding out that it was missing, I was informed that I needed to get a pregnancy test and ultrasound completed to locate the IUD. I was told if the IUD was not where it was supposed to be then I would most likely need surgery to remove it. So this was how I spent my Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.  The ultrasound was very strange because the several other times that I've had one, they are checking out a cute little baby in my uterus and this time after confirmation from the pregnancy test, there was no baby in there. Although, if not being warned by the technician, I would have thought there was when she listened to the sound of blood flow in the uterus.  It sounds exactly like a heartbeat. But after all this was said and done, it was confirmed that it is in the correct place but the location needs to be slightly adjusted.

I am very frustrated and have been in a very crabby mood the past several days, thus resulting in my mini blogging break.  I'm frustrated for several reasons.  One being that I'm not so sure that I want this form of birth control any longer for fear that I am always going to be worrying about if it is where it is supposed to be and I will probably associate every pain I have with this thing.  Also,  the doctor did not have an answer for me when I questioned if I would have to go through this whole process again if they were unable to locate the IUD the next time around.  So I am undecided in what I want to do.

I am also frustrated because I had just gotten over my emotional slump of wanting another baby since my sister and several friends have been announcing that they are expecting.  I was finally in a good place to say that I was content with not having any more children right now.  I was fully aware that I would be completely protected from any little surprises for 4 more years which would take me through graduate school with no more mini me's.  So now I feel like I am back at square one.  The thought of having a little surprise was sort of exciting, but then the pregnancy test was negative. And then I had to go to an ultrasound which was pretty emotional. And now I have to start over trying to find a birth control method that is right for me and my family.

Urggg, so these are my thoughts right now.  So I really need to weigh the pros and cons and decide what to do soon. 

The pros include:

1) No need to worry about a pill or anything and fully protected for 5 years
2)Little or no monthly "friend"

The cons include:

1)Sporadic monthly "friend"
2)Horrible Cramps
3)Still get headaches
4)Many risks and some are quite serious
5)Uncertainty that I may have to go through pregnancy test/ultrasound again if can't locate it.

The cons certainly outweigh the pros this time around, so now the decisions begin.  I wish I had done more research a year ago when I was making this decision. So I hope this helps others who may be weighing their options.  Not only was it really pricey for the IUD but now for all of these extra doctor visits and tests, but it was also very stressful.

On the upside,  I had a girls day with my mom, kids. and niece today by going on a shopping trip.  Although we did not find much, the kids found these awesome sun glasses and they sure know how to show them off...
 These kids just make my day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment