Saturday, March 19, 2011

Celebrate Social Work Month 2011

When I started college, I always knew that my career choice would be in the helping profession. I did not know where my desire to help people would take me but it has brought me to the career path that I am pursuing now, which is social work.  I absolutely love the social work profession.  When I was in college I completed my internship in child welfare and thought that this was my area of expertise.  Then after graduating,  I landed a job in a nursing home, which I quivered at the thought of working in, but this was where the job was and financially, I had to take what I could get.  Little did I know that I would actually fall in love with working with the geriatric population.  Now today, I work in a sub acute brain injury rehab unit and I live every social workers dream. I have a small case load (and I'm talking very small as in a max of 8 residents) and I can spend quality time getting to know my residents.  This is not the case for most others.  Most would say that they are happy if they actually get a change to meet their clients with the overwhelming amount of paperwork to complete! 

Being a social worker in today's economy is hard.  The lack of funding paired along with the economic downturn, has made the need for social workers to rise but the funding to decrease which means very high case loads and over worked social workers.  So in honor of Social Work Month, I want to let every other social worker out there, along with all my co workers, know that you are appreciated!  It is a very rewarding, challenging profession but I wouldn't change what I do for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment