Thursday, August 30, 2012

Open House



Today was an emotional day for me! We had Christian's open house for Kindergarten at his new school, Howe School! I'm so nervous to be sending my baby boy off to this first day of a full 8 hour day of school.  Last year he only had school 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours per day so this is going to be a major change for him :(

Thinking back over the past 5 years has really made me an emotional wreck these past few days.  I'm so proud of our little man. He has matured into a handsome,  caring, imaginative, inventive, (sometimes overly sensitive), but always sweet little boy! We have struggled with the decision to send him to Kindergarten this year or hold off for one more year since he has the summer birthday and he doesn't have height on his side, but we feel that we are doing the right thing by sending him off to gain more social skills and keep on learning! I don't think any mother sending their baby off to their first day of school will get any easier as the years pass!  I just wish time didn't fly by so fast!

As if I wasn't in a fragile enough state as it is, we had Christian's open house to meet his teacher this afternoon.  As Christian and I are walking towards his class room a mother approached me and asked the name of my son's Kindergarten teacher. I informed her of his teacher's name to which she proceeds to inform me that her son had this same teacher and she was "horrible" were her words and she would never allow her child to be that class.  So as you can imagine being a nervous wreck, I was in tears before I even arrived at the class room door.  I had to regain my composure, but was complete dumb founded and shocked that a fellow mother would have the nerve to say something like this to another mother.  I am competent enough to form my own opinions of others and in any other situations I probably would have been able to ignore the comment but it was just not the right time.  Thankfully, I knew several of Christian's class mates and was able to chat with their parents.  I also met Christian's teacher and she seems great.  She was soft spoken and a bit shy just like Christian. I feel that Christian will do just fine!  But I have so many friends that were able to give me uplifting feedback and I am friend's with Christian's Principal's wife, and she even called me tonight to see how I was doing!  Friends are great and they always know the right things to say!

So after the emotionally challenging day, I am fine and although Christian is not excited yet, I know he will do great as well!  (He keeps saying," so I really have to stay there as long as you are at work?)

Also, if Christian isn't growing up fast enough, he had another "first" tonight!  He is at his first sleep over with his cousin, Marcus!  He is so excited because he gets to go to Chuckie Cheese tomorrow to celebrate Marcus' 6th birthday!  I already checked up on him once and we only dropped him off at 6pm.  Do you think that I need to let go a bit?!? lol.

When did this little boy...

Turn into this big boy...????

"A mother holds her child's hand for a little while but holds their hearts forever."-- Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Love that baby picture:) I cried and cried when my first went to kindergarten.{Big Boy}

    ReplyDelete