Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I voted!

Today marks a date to go down in history... Wisconsin's first gubernatorial recall election -- and the third in U.S. history. I do not follow politics much because I hate the drama.  I get enough of that everywhere else in my life.  But since Governor Scott Walker took office last year,  I have noticed our state being divided into two.  I learned all too soon that you do not talk politics anywhere these days without it turning into a heated debate.  So that being said, I definitely took advantage of my civic duty and I voted!  I'm not so sure I like either candidate at this point, but I sure am not caring so much for Scott Walker.

Although I was not a union employee when I started with Wood County in September 2010 (I am actually 1 of 3 social workers that were non union employees...not sure why?), all of my fellow co workers were union represented.  Therefore I witnessed firsthand how Walker's successful efforts to limit collective bargaining powers for public employee unions in March 2011 had a big impact on the state of Wisconsin.  It was a sad time. You may remember that I took part in the protests last year prior to the elimination of most collective bargaining rights to support my fellow co workers and family since most are union workers or have been.

Also, being a social worker, it is already hard enough to find resources and funding available to those who need assistance but then to cut more programs and resources, it makes my job a lot harder and I really see the effects of this.

So that being said, I'm happy that I voted and I am anxious to see the election results tonight.  Hopefully we can get our state back on track to moving forward.  And if all else fails, at least I can be happy that I do not have to hear, see, or read about any more campaign advertisements :)

No comments:

Post a Comment