Monday, May 16, 2011

Christian's Birdnests

Tomorrow is Christian's last turn for treat day for Preschool this year! I can't believe that my little 3 year old is almost done with his first year of Preschool! I can still remember the day that we had him!  We were so young but I wouldn't change it for the world!  Now my little man will be headed off to 4K next year!  Wow, how times fly.

Okay, enough reminiscing.  I wanted to think of something creative for Christian's treat, so my mom found this recipe for me so we made Birdnest's for Christian's class! 

This picture just doesn't do justice!  

They turned out so cute and Christian loved them!  And let me tell you,  Peeps are impossible to find after Easter.  We called every store in town hoping that they still had some on clearance but no one did.  So luckily, my sister had several boxes left and she gave them to me.  So not every child gets a Peep but they do make the nests look great!

So if you are interested, here is the recipe:

(Makes 12)
4 cups chow mein noodles
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
Jelly beans or M&M's
Peeps (If you can find them)
Shredded Coconut
Green Food coloring

In large mixing bowl, use your hands to break noodles into smaller pieces.  In large saucepan, combine sugar and syrup.   Cook over medium heat until sugar is melted and edges begin to bubble.   Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.  Pour mixture over noodles and toss to coat.

Carefully test for temperature.  With slightly buttered hands, form mixture into tight balls using appx. 1/4 cup mixture per ball to resemble a bird's nest.  Place on waxed paper  and allow to cool completely.  

If you want the added touch, combine shredded coconut and green food coloring together and spread across bottom of pan to resemble grass.

Enjoy,  I know Christian and his classmates will! 

No comments:

Post a Comment