Monday, January 13, 2014

I'm in Luck

  I have always been one to speed along since I like to get to where I am going fast.  I have only gotten one speeding ticket and this was when I was 16 years old, right after I got my licence.  I learned during this incident that police officers do not like when you cry. They give you a ticket anyways. 

Since that day, I have taken that knowledge and applied it to future times when I was pulled over for speeding.  I have been pulled over quite a few times and I always fess up to my speeding and apologize.  I have found that this (and an innocent look) goes a long ways. So I have not gotten a speeding ticket since.  

Today was no different. The Lord was sure looking out for me today when I decided to speed along a familiar road going 60 mph in a 45 mph. As soon as the police officer made a U turn in the middle of the road, I knew that I was going to be pulled over. 

He came up to my window and asked if I knew why I was pulled over.  I agreed that I had been going too fast and acknowledged that I knew the speed limit.  He asked for my licence and as I struggled to get it out of my wallet, he noticed my County name badge that I had not yet removed after leaving work. He then nicely stated, "I see that you are a social worker." He then so very kindly told me that he was sure that my registration and licence were valid due to my profession.  He advised me to slow down and allowed me to leave.

 I was so excited and relieved that he let me off. I was also rather shocked that he let me off that easy. I did learn my lesson though and realized that I do need to start being more conscious of my speed since my luck of not being pulled over for the past 5 years has run out. 

The ongoing joke with my mom is that I will get at least one speeding ticket during my 4 year course in grad school having to drive to Madison every weekend. Well, funny thing is, I wasn't even going to Madison, I was coming home from work.  I had to call my mom to inform her of the events ( and brag a little).  

But the moral of the story is that I need to slow down because one day I will not be so lucky! But today I was lucky, and for that I am thankful!  

 photo FotoFlexer_Photo.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment